Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lackluster

This is starting to look like the worst season yet for American Idol, at least for me. My favorites are turning out to be highly uneven and the other presumptive frontrunners either don't interest me or fail to impress.

This week was marked by another disappointing performance from Paris (the "Conga" song selection was embarrassing, and although I still like her this worries me more than her attempt to "stretch" with a poorly chosen ballad last week) and the first disappointing performance by Elliott (the only guy I truly like). At least the judges loved him, I'm worried he may not even make the top 12.

Katharine was probably the highlight of the women this week, she confirmed her Kelly Clarkson-esque aspirations by daring to take on an Aretha standard (although by doing so she proved she's good, but not Kelly good). And for the first time since her audition I really loved Lisa's performance, even if the judges were thoroughly unimpressed. The way that Kellie continually gets a pass from the judges is starting to drive me crazy ("cute" does not overcome mediocre singing) and I have yet to be "wow"-ed by Mandisa, but I guess I'm almost alone in that.

On the guys' side only Gedeon was worth watching, but he's a little too bizarre offstage (what exactly was that clip package about? a painting involving the world and a record?? and he was so serious about it...creepy).

I've pretty much resigned myself to Chris winning this whole thing. He's the only one with clear "talent" who is consistent every week. Mandisa may put up a good fight, and if it actually comes down to the two of them I suppose she could win. But either way I wouldn't care much.

It's hard to predict exactly who will leave tonight but I'm guessing Melissa (who doesn't deserve it) and Ayla (who does) from the ladies and Kevin and Will (both deserving) from the guys (I would celebrate the elimination of either Bucky or Ace, but I expect them both to be safe for now).

I think Kinnik saved herself by showing some personality and picking a very safe Alicia Keys song (the same song that saved Vonzell when she needed it early on), but I'd expect her to be in the bottom three. Though the underwhelmed reactions that Paris and Lisa received from the judges could be dangerous.

Anyway after tonight we'll have a top 12 and I'll weigh in further next week.

No comments: