Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Two weeks to pick-ups

The time for networks to announce their fall schedules is just around the corner. And instead of driving myself crazy waiting to see if Arrested Development gets picked up or not I decided to take a look at what new shows I just might want to see.

With no knowledge of what the networks are seriously considering, which scripts are said to be good or bad and what shows will be cancelled to make room for these, I am endorsing, sight unseen, one pilot for each network. If for no other reason than I want to see it.

ABC: 1/4 Life
The network that had the best freshman class of the 2004-05 season has another promising slate this year (well, as promising as you can get while still having a Freddie Prinze Jr. vehicle under consideration). But this choice is a no-brainer because the twentysomething drama 1/4 Life is from Marshall Herskovitz & Ed Zwick, the bona fide TV Geniuses behind thirtysomething, My So-Called Life, Relativity and Once & Again. That's all I need to know.

CBS: Threshold
CBS won't be abandoning its focus on procedural dramas anytime soon and the drama pilots it has under consideration are full of doctors, crusading lawyers and government agencies (the comedies are predictably primarily family based). Sure, the Jerry Bruckheimer-produced American Crime (she's a lawyer and a desperate housewife, crusading against crime in the suburbs!!) is a sure bet to make it on the air and I'm tempted to endorse the Shawn Ryan/David Mamet collaboration The Unit (with a solid cast that includes Dennis Haysbert, Regina King, Robert Patrick and Scott Foley), but I'll stick by Threshold.

Probably a solid contender in these post-Lost days it's a sci-fi drama with Carla Gugino, Charles S. Dutton and even some Star Trek cred thanks to Brent "Data" Spiner and veteran Trek producer Brannon Braga. Could give network sci-fi a needed kick in the ass.

Fox: Kitchen Confidential
Assuming I'm actually still watching Fox next season (which would mean Arrested Development is still on the air), I'll check out this new comedy from Darren "Melrose Place/Sex and the City" Star. At least a comedy centered around a chef is a fresh idea (yes, I have already forgotten Emeril and you should've too). It also helps that former Alias co-star Bradley Cooper is playing the chef and Buffy co-star Nicholas Brendon is on board too.

I have to admit I'm also more than a little curious about The Loop since it bills itself as an "experimental" comedy, features Mimi Rogers and Philip Baker Hall, has a pilot directed by Betty Thomas and comes from South Park vet Pam Brady and Andy Richter Controls the Universe vet Will Gluck. Just the kind of left field thing that could actually turn out well.

NBC: NY-70
I'm torn between religious family drama Book of Daniel with the kick ass cast of Aidan Quinn, Dylan Baker, Susanna Thompson, Christian Campbell, Alison Pill, Garret Dillahunt and Ellen Burstyn and 1970s set cop drama NY-70 starring two very good actors: Donnie Wahlberg and Bobby Cannavale. Since the production teams behind both shows mean nothing to me I'll go with the concept I find a little more fresh: there's already a network show with someone who talks to god, but nothing set in the 70s. That said I wouldn't be surprised if both get on the air (and it's possible that a "period" show like NY-70 will wind up as a limited series to cut down on costs). NBC's got some big holes to fill.

UPN: Crazy
It might not even be worth considering this "network," except last fall they actually put two shows on the air I wanted to watch: Kevin Hill and Veronica Mars. On paper this year's selections look pretty scary: a J. Lo produced show about South Beach? a soap about Hollywood assistants? a show set in Silver Lake? Yikes. So by default I'll go with a show that stars Lara Flynn Boyle and is titled Crazy. Proof that, if nothing else, someone at UPN has a sense of humor.

The WB: The Bedford Diaries
My favorite network five seasons ago, The WB also has a pretty lackluster looking crop this year. But despite the David E. Kelley medical drama and the Anne Heche/Swoosie Kurtz/Ed Begley Jr. comedy (say what?), one show stands out from the pack. Tom Fontana and Barry Levinson of all people (they produced Oz!!) are in contention at The WB with a show about New York college students studying human sexuality and behavior. Among the cast are Gilmore Girls brat Milo Ventimiglia, multiple Tony winner Audra McDonald and Matthew Modine.

Weird.

I hope they put it on the air.

No comments: