Monday, May 15, 2006

Fall Schedules: NBC

Television’s most desperate network unveiled a wacky fall schedule that places most of its new offerings in 9 pm "tentpole" slots (full press release here). I’m not sure what the thinking behind letting unproven shows anchor each weeknight is, but NBC has to do something after placing fourth in the ratings for two seasons running.

Good move: Besides putting Fear Factor out of its misery (and finally giving up on Joey and holding off on the tired The Apprentice until midseason), I don’t see much to cheer in NBC’s announcement. One thing they have going for them next season is Sunday Night Football, which is likely to boost their ratings a bit and provide worry-free counter programming to two of TV’s biggest hits (Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy on ABC, assuming both shows stay put on the night).

Bad move: All these new shows at 9. Why? And putting the heavily hyped Studio 60 (Aaron Sorkin’s TV satire featuring Matthew Perry and Amanda Peet) up against CSI is a risky no-guts-no-glory decision, as is bumping the My Name is Earl/The Office hour to 8 to serve as Studio’s lead-in. Earl and Office are often heralded as NBC’s hottest "hits" (despite the fact they don’t even threaten to hit the top 10) and if momentum is supposed to be on their side moving them around can’t be good. It’s obvious NBC wants to build a two hour block of "buzz TV" on Thursday. I applaud the effort but I wish I could say the same for the execution.

I’m looking forward to…: Studio 60 will get a lot of media attention (but not necessarily viewer interest) for its ballsy swipes at network television—especially when it comes to NBC and Saturday Night Live—but I’ve seen it and I’m not optimistic about where it will go (either creatively or in the ratings).

Since both the high-concept Heroes and half-hour-SNL-satire 30 Rock (yes there are two SNL satires on the same network’s fall schedule…) sound intriguing but could just as easily be disastrous, I’m thinking Kidnapped (with a cast that includes Dana Delany, Jeremy Sisto and Delroy Lindo) could be NBC’s best chance at a fun, successful show. (One problem: there are a lot of conspiracy thrillers in the works for next season and NBC’s won’t be the only one to make it to air, so it better stick out.)

Also, midseason’s Andy Barker, P.I., with Andy Richter playing private detective, just might work.

…but not: Surprisingly, none of NBC’s new series sound unbearable but I’m not sure it’s necessary to bring another seemingly generic sit-com about young people looking for love into the world (unscheduled midseason possibility The Singles Table).

What they didn’t pick up: Not a lot. Several weak sounding comedies (including one starring Jay Mohr) and only one drama (an offbeat hour produced by Conan O’Brien, starring Cary Elwes as a reincarnated corrupt politician).

Say goodbye to: Aforementioned Fear Factor and Joey (you won’t be missed). DOA rookies The Apprentice: Martha Stewart, The Book of Daniel, Conviction, E-Ring, Four Kings, Heist, Inconceivable, Surface, Teachers and Three Wishes. Retiring vets The West Wing and Will & Grace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it about Studio 60 that has you skeptical?

Larry McGillicuddy said...

I covered this, too and I agree with most of what you said, but I think Earl and The Office will be fine. Momentum won't be hurt because they kept them both together and on the same night. It won't be that big of a change.

I hope Studio 60 is better than you say it is.

Geoff said...

I think Earl and Office will be "fine" too but for them to truly "turn NBC around" they need to actually grow. Of course that's possible since Thursday at 8 isn't really dominated by any one show anymore (Survivor keeps getting older and older) but don't both of them just feel like 9 o'clock shows?

Plus I'm just not high on Studio's chances for success (and I believe how it performs is going to impact Earl/Office at least a little bit). I expect mostly positive reviews for it but I don't think audiences are going to tune in in large numbers to watch a TV show about television. The subject matter isn't that interesting.

But it's interesting that Variety is reporting Kevin Reilly described Studio as a "light, sexy soap." That's sort of how I figured the show would be heading but again I don't see the appeal there. A "light, sexy soap" starring Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford, Timothy Busfield, Steven Weber, Evan Handler, Carlos Jacott, Nathan Corddry, D.L. Hughley (and oh, by the way, Amanda Peet and Sarah Paulson)??

Good luck.