Saturday, February 26, 2005

Pre-Oscar thoughts

So I was going to post something about the Oscars but I didn't like how it was turning out. Basically all that needs to be said before the show is:

1) I hope Chris Rock does well. When the choice was first announced I was worried... for him. He's landed an extremely high pressure gig where he will be under the most intense scrutiny of his career and he won't even be allowed to fully be himself. It's a thankless task, but those who are offered can't seem to resist. We'll see how he does.

2) No matter what, the ratings are going to suck. At least by Oscar standards. This group of nominees for best picture happens to be, in my opinion, the best in a long time. But it's also the lowest grossing in a long time. That never bodes well for ratings. There's also the pesky problem that the other major award shows, and other big events like the Super Bowl, have seen their ratings sag lately. Unfortunately this is probably going to lead to some changes and I fear not all of them will be good. But I'll deal with commenting on those when they actually happen...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last year's lineup was not bad, either — one masterpiece, three good movies, and "Seabiscuit."

Geoff said...

Yes, Lost in Translation is a masterpiece. :P

But this lineup includes four movies I'd put in my own top ten, which I think is a first.

And even Ray is better than Seabiscuit.

Larry McGillicuddy said...

Man, Seabiscuit must really suck.

And wait, are there really people out there that don't think Lost in Translation is a masterpeice? Weird.