Friday, April 28, 2006

Goodbye Kellie Mae

I suppose I shouldn’t let the events of this week’s Idol go by without mention. After Tuesday night’s so-so "Great Love Songs" performance show I would’ve demanded two things:

1) That Paris place in the top three after delivering another flawless performance and
2) That Kellie Pickler finally hit the bottom three, especially after back-to-back weeks of outright sucking (which she readily admitted).

So I got half of what I wanted, and it was the more important half. I thought Kellie might get the boot but I didn’t want to be optimistic enough to really believe it. In my mind Elliott was doomed, not because he gave a bad performance (he didn’t, it was clearly one of the three best) but because his song was dull, and he performed too early in the show.

But maybe America was as "moved" by Elliott as Paula was and instead Kellie departed the show in the Carmen Rasmusen/John Stevens/Constantine Maroulis memorial slot of sixth place. Kind of fitting isn’t it? I’ll admit, now that she’s gone, that she was sort of entertaining for her stupid remarks ("I’m a mink!?" "On paper? What’s that?") and if she does have some sort of future in the entertainment business I won’t be too opposed, as long as singing isn’t a major part of it. (The great joke of both of this season’s country contestants is that if they had auditioned for the generally superior Nashville Star I’m positive they would’ve been rejected.)

As for Paris’ placement in the week’s bottom two, there’s nothing much to say other than the obvious: she deserves better. Hopefully she’ll hang on for a couple more weeks and maybe viewers will start to realize that Taylor, kinda like Kellie, isn’t worth keeping around.

But I doubt it.

No comments: