Monday, December 12, 2005

Season Finale: Survivor: Guatemala

Congratulations to Danni Boatwright (yep, that's her name) for winning Survivor: Guatemala. It was a rather unpredictable outcome for what had been an unusually smooth season.

I usually hate watching the show for at least half of each season but this time none of the irritating players made it very far (except for Judd, and he didn't last nearly as long as I thought he would) and this is the first time in memory I didn't find any of the players who made it to the final four incredibly annoying. Even my early apprehension about the "stunt casting" of Stephenie and Bobby Jon never developed into a serious distraction.

A couple of weeks ago I would've picked Danni and Rafe as the best final two, but I didn't think that would ever be possible. The fact that it almost happened was pretty shocking. Although I stopped rooting for Rafe right before the finale (after he started badmouthing Cindy for her decision to keep the car she won), I would've ultimately preferred to see a Rafe/Steph showdown at the end. It would've been fitting to see the two strongest players face off.

But Danni won the final immunity with ease and I think we can guess what would've happened if Rafe and Steph had faced the jury. For Steph to play the game as well as she did and only receive one vote (from Rafe) in the end says a lot about the bitterness and resentment the jury felt toward her. Steph has twice proven herself as one of the game's strongest players, it's just too bad she never got the ultimate prize.

No comments: