Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Season Premieres: Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls returns tonight to answer some burning questions left over from last season's exceptional finale.

Luke's answer to Lorelai's proposal is...

well, you'll have to see for yourself, but I will say that his answer sets off an amusing chain of events that highlight the show's sixth season premiere (two of the show's trademark eccentric supporting characters played by Liz Torres and Sally Struthers have rarely been used better).

The bad news is that Rory's boring and obnoxious Yale boyfriend Logan is still around, and looks likely to be around for awhile, and her storyline in general provides some of the weakest moments. But living full time with Richard and Emily gives the grandparents some always welcome screentime, and new colors to play as well.

And then there's Rory's irritating longtime pal Paris (her enjoyable longtime pal Lane is MIA for this episode, as is Lorelai's enjoyable pal Sookie). Paris often makes me want to scratch my eyes out and pull out all of my hair. In this episode she's hilarious. Maybe I'm just finally getting used to the character but I think I like the direction they're taking her... and I'm glad that overall there's every reason to believe that this season will be a worthy follow up to one of the show's best ever.

Following Gilmore the WB premieres one of its new series, Supernatural, which has exactly one thing in common with its lead-in: Jared Padalecki, who played Rory's first love Dean and stars here. He's one of two brothers (the other played by Days of Our Lives and Dark Angel alum Jensen Ackles) whose mother died in a mysterious supernatural incident when they were young. When their father goes missing years later the boys set off to find him and discover numerous unexplained phenomena along the way.

Oh how I loved X-Files. Oh how this show is no X-Files.

2 comments:

Annie D said...

So I watched...and here's the thing. The simpering, spoiled rich-kid wannabe Rory annoys me way more than Logan. It's sort of the reverse of how I felt about Ryan on The O.C. - I didn't really like him until they made him the smart kid in the second season. Now that they've made Rory the brat, I could care less.

However, Taylor's line to Lorelai about "I never thought you'd calm down enough to get married" is a new favorite.

Geoff said...

The only thing Logan did in the season premiere to make me dislike him was showing up. I'm just a Logan-hater period.

As for Rory...

I don't know if it's just because Alexis Bledel is so cute and charming (if a very limited actress) or I've just become too attached to the character, but I haven't completely lost interest in Rory even with the boneheaded decisions she's been making.

She couldn't go through the entire series with her only flaw being her terrible taste in men. Yes she comes off like a spoiled brat now, and dropping out of school stretches credibility a lot more than sleeping with her married ex-boyfriend as an oh-no-she-didn't! developement, but I sort of respect that they're at least trying to make her character more complicated.

I know she should be more (and hopefully she will be) but for now I'm satisfied with seeing her as a necessary pawn in the awesome war between Lorelai and her parents. That's where the best stuff is anyway.